I will admit my first few empties, I promptly tossed in the recycling, never thinking that I could reuse the bottles. Now that I know better, I have a huge stash of empty, clean essential oil bottles that I can use to make my own blends, make roll ons and more.
How to Reuse Essential Oil Bottles
- Take your empty bottles and peel as much of the label off as you can. Don’t go nuts about, just peel what comes off fairly easily.
- Remove plastic orifice and plastic cap.
- Place bottles, and plastic parts in a bowl of warm soapy water.
- Let soak overnight.
- Drain and discard soapy water and papery bits that are in the water.
- Remove the rest of the labels from the bottles. These should come off quite easily. Any stubborn spots can be removed with a bit of Lemon Essential Oil (natural Goo Gone!)
- If the bottles still have a smell, put them in a bowl of water with 1 capful of Thieves cleaner OR into a bowl of half water and half alcohol (rubbing, vodka, etc) or vinegar. *I was amazed at how the Thieves cleaner actually worked better than the alcohol and vinegar at removing the smell.
- Let soak overnight again.
- Rinse and air dry.
- Voila…clean essential oil bottles ready for you to use!
What to Do With Your Clean Essential Oil Bottles
Make your own blends.
- I love making my own blends. Young Living has so many awesome ones to choose from, but I have had a lot of success with sleepytime blends and our immune boosting recipe!
Make your own roll ons.
- Having roll ons is such a great way to use your oils. I make diluted blends of oils such as PanAway,Thieves, Lavender, homemade face serum, even our immune boosting recipe. The choices are endless!
Create a travel kit of oils.
- While you can easily purchase small bottles for travel, what a great way to reuse bottles you already have!
Make additional bottles to keep in other rooms, car, etc.
- I don’t know about you, but I have a drawer full of oils in my kitchen. Sometimes, I want an oil in my bathroom, my bedroom, my daughter’s room, my purse. I can’t afford to purchase 5 bottles of every oil I use, so I use my spare bottles to put 30 drops or so and keep them where I need them!
Do you have any tips for reusing your bottles? What do you use them for?