Creating a crystal altar serves as a physical embodiment of your devotion to your intention and practice. An altar is simply a special, sacred place where you keep your collection of healing crystals, spiritual tools and meaningful items. It is a sacred way to invite spiritual energies into your space and reinforce your intention.
Similar to setting up a sacred space or a crystal grid, taking the time and energy to create your crystal altar and seeing it on a daily basis shows your mind the importance and significance this intention holds for you. With the placement of every crystal and symbolic item on your sacred altar, you are putting the energy of your intention out into the universe. Your altar can be large or small, simple or elaborate. These things do not matter, but the space it holds does. Your altar dedicates a space to the things that are the most important to you, adds beauty to your home and gives you a creative outlet to express your goals and ideals.
In addition to the steps below, here a few tips to keep in mind when creating your crystal altar:
- Set up your altar on a new moon. The new moon represents a new beginnings, and thus this is the ideal time to “plant new seeds” and set new intentions. You can turn recreating your altar space into your monthly new moon ritual.
- Keep your altar clean and dust-free. You always want to keep your altar space maintained, clean and uncluttered to show your devotion to this space. It’s a special space that you honor, so if you’re neglecting your altar, you can bet that you’re neglecting your intention.
- Take your time. Don’t just throw it together. To ensure that your intention is clear, make sure your head is in the right place and you aren’t flustered or rushed as you set up your altar.
- Trust your intuition. When arranging and choosing the items for your crystal altar, listen to your intuition and trust your gut. Don’t get caught up in what other images of altars look like. This space is for YOU. So create a space that expresses your truth.
1. Designate a Sacred Space for Your Crystal Altar
Choose a prominent place in your home, one that you see on a regular basis, for your altar to reside. This is arguably the most important step of all. When you choose a designated place for your altar, you are making the space for this intention to exist in your life. Your altar cannot be on the floor(this would be symbolic of placing your intention on the floor). It must be on a raised surface. It can be an entire room, a corner of one, a small table, the top of a dresser or a shelf on a bookshelf.
2. Energetically Cleanse Your Altar Space
Once you’ve designated the space for your altar, you want to ensure that the energy is vibrating at the highest frequency. Use the power of the sacred smoke of your choosing to clear the energy.
3. Choose an Intention or Theme for Your Crystal Altar
Your personal altar should be themed to an intention that aligns with your purpose in this present moment. Your altar can be themed around your current intentions, your goals, your meditation practice, your ritual practice, your favorite element or even the current season. When setting intentions, you want to be as specific as you can be, so make sure the theme you go with is focused. Your crystal altar holds the energetic space for your intention to remind you of it daily.
4. Select Your Crystals & Sacred Items
Choose items that you feel connected with to fill your altar. Gather your favorite healing crystals, spiritual symbols and energy tools. Add candles, written affirmations, incense, photos and fresh flowers. The possibilities are endless. Be creative and playful, and have fun with this! Your altar is uniquely curated for you. But keep in mind, each and every item on your altar should have a purpose. These will be the tools and talismans that bring your intention to life, helping to manifest it into reality much faster. One of our favorite items to add to our crystal altars is a petrified wood slab. It adds the element of Earth to your altar and creates a beautiful plate to place your crystals and spiritual items upon.
5. Intuitively Arrange Your Crystal Altar
Tap into your intuition and begin placing your items to arrange your altar. How your altar is set up is based on what YOU like! Place every item with intention, reminding yourself of your theme and overall intention of your altar. If something feels off when you are setting it up, trust your gut and rearrange it. There is no right and wrong way to do this. After you’ve finished placing everything, take a step back and admire your creation.
Once you’ve finished creating your crystal altar, use it daily! You can meditate in front of it, set morning intentions over it or simply gaze at it on your way out the door for an extra lift before you start your day. Even when you’re not thinking about your intention, your altar will continue to hold the space and energy for you.